The Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP®) with Dr. Robert Hawke is a non-invasive gum surgery alternative for patients seeking gum disease treatment in Tucson, AZ.
LANAP® is the ideal gum surgery alternative for patients with moderate to severe gum disease who are at risk of losing natural teeth. LANAP® gently attacks bacteria deep inside gum pockets and simultaneously stimulates bone growth around the existing teeth. Even loose teeth at risk of falling out are often salvaged with a LANAP® gum surgery alternative.
A single session of this innovative laser gum surgery alternative takes about two hours with a local anesthetic. Many patients can return to normal activity the same day.
LANAP® in Six Steps
1. Measuring Gum Pocket Depth. Dr. Hawke starts the laser gum surgery alternative with a dental probe that will tell him how deep the infected gum pockets are and how much connective tissue has separated from the tooth roots.
2. Eliminating Bacteria. To eliminate diseased tissue and bacteria, Dr. Hawke uses the PerioLase® MVP-7™ laser to aim therapeutic pulses of light between the teeth and gums. The LANAP® gum surgery alternative is specifically engineered to bypass good, healthy tissue, which is key to providing patients with gum disease treatment that is more tolerable.
3. Removing Calculus. Dr. Hawke uses ultrasonic scalers to break away and remove the calculus/tarter deposits beneath the gum line, although the laser may be used to denature the calculus first.
4. Clotting. The laser is used to create tiny blood clots around the teeth. Natural blood clots provide a clean, protective seal around teeth to keep germs out and encourage successful healing.
5. Compressing gum tissue. Dr. Hawke compresses the healthy, remaining gum tissue against the roots of teeth for natural reattachment.
6. Adjusting the Bite. Dr. Hawke examines the teeth and the bite and makes any necessary adjustments. This step is particularly important for areas where bone loss has occurred.
If you have moderate to severe gum disease, consider the LANAP® gum surgery alternative with Dr. Hawke. Please call us today for gentle gum disease treatment in Tucson, AZ.
Dr. Robert Hawke, a general dentist in Tucson, AZ, offers many procedures that can improve the health and appearance of your smile. These advanced procedures include the LANAP Laser treatment, Dental Implants, Implant Supported Dentures, and Composite Fillings. If you suffer from gum disease or loose lower dentures, call our office today to schedule your appointment. We are proud to serve patients from Tucson, AZ and the surrounding areas including the Marana Valley, Oro Valley, and Vail, AZ.